Many of us are actively trying to avoid exposure to unnecessary chemicals.
We are only now becoming aware of the health impacts of some chemicals, such as phthalates.
Phthalates’ are believed to be an endocrine-disrupting chemical (EDC) which can potentially cause reproductive, developmental and other health issues:
- Links have been found to reproductive and genital defects, lower sperm count, disrupted hormones and infertility has been found in numerous studies on animals, according to the National Research Council
- Harvard studies have shown that exposure to phthalates can increase the risk of miscarriage and gestational diabetes in pregnant women
- Phthalates have been linked to allergies, male genital deformities, premature puberty, eczema, asthma, lowered IQ and ADHD in infants and children.
- A 2010 study on New York schoolchildren associated prenatal phthalate exposure with social impairment later in life.
- Researchers in Korea found a “significant association” between DEHP exposure and neurodevelopmental effects in children.
- Other studies have linked phthalates to other effects in adults. A Harvard-led research team concluded in a 2008 study that levels of certain phthalates were linked to sperm DNA damage among men at an infertility clinic.
- The US Consumer Product Safety Commission state that exposure to certain phthalates may induce adverse effects to the thyroid, liver, kidneys and immune system.
- Some phthalates (DEHP) are listed as a probable carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
We need much more research on the longer term impact of phthalates to better understand the risk they pose to health.
In the meanwhile, there is enough known about phthalates to suggest that they should be avoided where possible.
The Shade’s colour has been blended without phthalates, ammonia, PPD and parabens, and blended with Aloe Vera, Argan Oil and Ginseng.
I struggled with hair dye sensitivity for years. After trying literally every product on the market both in-salon and at home – I discovered The Shade. No more itchy scalp. Perfect grey coverage and shiny, healthy, vibrant hair. I couldn’t be happierL. Browne
Really impressed with the shade! So easy, the accessories are great, I love the colour, and best of all, it’s paraben and phthalate free! Thank you!R. McGettigan