In completely non-surprising news, a Moneysaver HQ investigation has found that hair maintenance for women typically costs between $160-$250 every 6-8 weeks, compared to the average outlay of $30-$80 for men in the same time span.
We have put together our top tips for keeping your hair utterly gorgeous while not being continually rorted for being a female with hair.
We call it our ‘living with hair while being female’ cheat sheet:
- Ditch the expensive and unnecessary heated styling tools. Direct heat is highly damaging to hair. Damaged hair looks and feels …damaged, and can give you darker or patchy colour results which can cost $$ to correct. Avoiding damage is far cheaper than using expensive products to add shine or moisture or colour correction in a salon.
- Pick a hair length and style that works for you and maintain that with a budget-friendly trim every 6 weeks. Your hair will feel and look better and your colour results will be more consistent. Shop around and find a salon who will give you a fixed price for your cut without hassling you for an upsell. I pay $29 for a standard trim, no bells and whistles, no blow dry/wash and I am completely, and cheerfully, resistant to upselling. If you want a whole new look, that’s what money is for – spend it at a salon you trust.
- Fiddle with your shower temperature while showering. Keep it warmer for the sheer relaxation but only while your hair is out of the way. Reduce the heat when your hair is directly under the water. Hot water, like heated styling tools, will damage your hair.
- Step up your home colouring game with salon colour, tools and advice. Avoid products with ammonia or PPD which can be damaging to either your hair or your health or both. Share your colour struggles, goals and dreams with a colourist, and then take their advice so you can get it right, by yourself, at home. Find a colour and colouring techniques that work just for you, save a bundle and enjoy being a smart, self-sufficient, non-rorted kind of girl with fabulous colour.
- Look after your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves. Avoid damaging your hair and you avoid expensive treatments for damaged hair. Save up that cash ladies, and pay down that mortgage or top up your super.