Toners are hard-working miracle-workers which will fine-tune and refine your colour, delivering lustrous, long-lasting tone and shine to your locks.
- Correct colour and tone, enhance, refine and add dimension to hair colour
- Create a protective, strengthening barrier around the hair, and
- Add volume and shine by plumping and sealing the hair cuticle, leaving a natural, healthy finish.
What are toners?
The Shade’s toners blend a cool-based colour cream with our 5 vol developer. Toners won’t change or lift your base colour level, but they will deposit tone and shine, muting unwanted warmth and leaving a high-shine finish.
Why use a toner?
Toners are used to eliminate unwanted tones, and to enhance or refine hair colour, and they can:
- Balance and neutralise unwanted tones, delivering fabulous, refined colour finishes. Beautiful colour is focused, clear and free of unwanted tones. If your colour goal is a cool ashy blonde or brunette shade, then you need to eliminate golden or brassy tones. Toners neutralise any unwanted tones. Select a cool toner to counter-balance and mute warmth, leaving your colour finish free from warmer tones.
- Gentle Tone Refresh Our 5 vol developer allows the tone to deposit on the hair cuticle. A toner is gentler than a permanent colour application. Try permanent colour on your roots and regrowth only to cover greys, and a toner on your lengths to balance and unite tone and boost shine in your lengths.
- Double Process Hair Colour such as highlights, balayage or a bleach wash requires a seperate lightening process followed by a toner to neutralise warmth and balance tones.
- Colour Correction Toners can rebalance and correct patchy or brassy colour finishes, leaving a consistent, balanced finish.
- Greys Toners leave a lighter, shiny, sheer temporary result over greys.
- Shine Colour looking a little flat or dull? Toners will add glossy softness and shine, leaving your hair more manageable and expensive-looking.
How to Choose Your Toner:
Toners add warmth-busting cool tones that finish your colour beautifully.
Select a cool based toner at the same level as the lightest colour in your hair for optimised colour results. For example, if your naturally black/brown colour is lightened to a level 5 mid-brown, then a cool Trento 5.1 toner is the best option.
An ash light blonde Catania 902 Lightest Beige Blonde toner will mute warmth, eliminating gold or brassy tones, leaving a balanced, shiny finish to your colour.
If you have highlights, select a toner which has the same base colour level as your highlights – our colourists can recommend a toner which works well for you.
You can select your toner from the options on our Toner kit product page.
What’s In Your Toner Kit?
- Sachet of 5 vol developer
- Tube of cool-based colour cream
- Colour Protection Shampoo
- Colour Protection Conditioner
- Barrier Oil
- Hair Colour Remover Wipe
My hair throws a lot of warm tones and I’m always apprehensive about trying at home colours but the cool dark brown did not disappoint. Very impressed.Eliza Kokkin
I just want to say a huge thank you for all your help. After the toner last night I have achieved the perfect colour and am now so happy. I have added the toner to my membership so I can do this each time. Thanks again.A. Graziani
Really happy with the colour and condition of my hair. Right tone for me, no stinky ammonia, great product!Angel W
I get a cool finish which I love, with a nice, softer tone through it. Just lovely!Chaya M