The Shade is proud to offer colour products which are free from many problematic ingredients:
Why choose ammonia-free colour?
Many consumers prefer ammonia-free colour, whether for salon or at home colouring.
- has a pungent, harsh smell which can irritate the skin, eyes and nose
- is used as an industrial cleaner
- lifts the cuticle of the hair, which allows colour to enter.
- It is quite aggressive in its function and it allows natural oils and moisture to leave the hair, leaving the hair dry, weak and brittle.
Why choose PPD-free colour?
- has been associated with mild skin irritations and more severe allergic contact dermatitis
- It can be irritating to people who suffer from eczema or other skin conditions
- Anyone allergic to PPD can experience severe reactions if they are exposed to PPD
- Some people can develop a reaction to PPD after repeated exposure to PPD
More recently, a Dr. K. Mokbel, a leading London breast cancer surgeon who led a 2017 study examining the link between permanent hair colouring and breast cancer. He advised that it is best to avoid hair colour products with more than 2% PPD. Our colour is formulated without PPD.
Parabens and phthalates
- are restricted by the EU
- are linked to a negative impact on the endocrine system and reproductive hormones.
- can irritate the skin of those with coeliac disease.
The Shade was started to help you achieve beautiful salon-quality salon results at home, inclusive of those with sensitive skin, allergies and health concerns.
Our colour is safe for those with sensitive skin. It is kinder on your hair, skin and health than conventional colour products. Choose colour products with healthier ingredients, for better colour and health outcomes.
I have severe allergies to PPD and I am so happy that I can use this PPD-free colour! No itchiness, thank goodness, and I love the colour!Holly W.
I was hoping for a better colouring experience and…I got it! No tingling or itchiness, no horrible smell, and a really natural colour result and lovely hair condition. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a better home colour experience!Rose Higgins
Love my gorgeous colour and so happy that I can use it! I have allergies to regular hair colour but this colour didn’t give me any itchiness or reaction at all and I love the colour result! Hair feels really lovely too and got a few compliments already, so I’m very happy! Thank you!Stella Ashwood
I haven’t been able to colour my hair for over 3 years, as normal colour irritates my scalp. But The Shade colour doesn’t irritate. I’m so happy, thank you!Sofie Simioni