Well done! You’ve got the colour, tools and techniques and product to achieve gorgeous colour results at home. Now you just need to keep it looking it’s best by preventing damage which can compromise your colour results.
Keep your colour glossy, fabulous and gorgeous with our simple pro tips:
- Heat will stress and damage hair, leading to increased porosity. The easiest ways to avoid heat are to reduce the temperature of your showers and to avoid heated styling tools. Try turning the heat down and washing your hair in slightly warm or even cool water. You can crank the heat up again when you have your hair out of the way. Heated styling tools such as straightening irons and hair dryers will also directly damage your hair, so switch to light use of a heated brush if you must or cool to warm settings on your hair dryer only.
- Keep a hat on when you’re in the sun – your skin and hair will benefit from avoiding direct sun exposure.
- Use a colour-safe shampoo, ideally one which is free from sulfates and keep up regular conditioning with a high quality colour-friendly conditioner.
- Use an intensive conditioning treatment which supports coloured hair at least once a month. At a pinch, use your best conditioner and simply leave that in for 10-20 minutes.
- Stay away from hair care or colour products with ammonia or alcohol, as both ingredients are quite harsh and can damage hair. Hair sprays and mousse often contain alcohol, so check your ingredients and look for alcohol and ammonia free options.
All coloured hair essentially needs a little more TLC. Damaged hair can contribute to unwanted colour results such as colour build-up, over-absorption of colour during processing or colour fade. With just a few simple adjustments to your hair routines, you can avoid some of the main causes of hair damage and keep your locks and colour in fabulous shape.